How do I make my computer run faster? That is a very common question and there are many different things you can do to increase your overall computer performance. In this article we take a look at some easy ways of speeding up a slow computer, most of which are free and can be done in minutes.
1. Has your PC just recently slowed down a tad? If that's the case, the problem may be the last program that you installed on the computer. It could potentially be a compatibility issue between your PC and the new software you installed. So try uninstalling the program and see if it helps.
2. Restart your computer. If you use your computer for a long period at a time, then it may start slowing down a bit. This is common, and simply re-booting your PC will have your PC running back at normal speed.
3. Remove old and unused programs and files. A great program to clean up your computer is CCleaner which is free. It will remove useless files, stop unused programs from computer start-up, and also fix windows registry errors. To make my computer run faster I use CCleaner, and encourage everyone to do the same.
4. Defragment your hard disk. For Windows XP users, go to Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Defragmenter. Select the C drive and click on Analyze. If the hard drive needs to be defragmented then click on Defragment. Leave your computer alone while it finishes the process.
5. Remove viruses, adware, and spyware. These nasty little bugs will slow your computer to a crawl in some cases. There are many programs out there that can find and remove these for you, some of which are free and some you have to pay for.
6. Add more RAM to your computer. This is the best way to upgrade your PC hardware to increase system performance. It won't cost you much at all, and the improvement can be huge. If you don't already have at least 2GB of RAM these days, I would consider getting some more. Especially if you have under 1GB.