How to Install a Floppy Drive:
Step by Step QuickGuide
The floppy drive is a rare component to include in a new build these days, but if you like staying ancient for whatever reason then installation is very simple and will only take you a minute or two. Here are the steps to installing the once-mighty floppy drive:
- Turn off your computer and open up your PC case so that you can access the insides. Make sure all power connections are unplugged.
- Locate a free drive bay and install the floppy drive into the bay by sliding it in. Use the screws provided and a phillips screwdriver to fit the floppy drive into place securely. This is as simple as matching up the holes and screwing them in.
- Now you need to connect the floppy drive connector, which is a ribbon-type cable, to the back of the floppy drive itself. Make sure the pins on the cable match up the pins on the floppy drive.
- The floppy drive connector cable now needs to be plugged into the motherboard, so that your floppy drive is part of your system.
- Then find a power supply connector from your PC and insert it into the power connection on your floppy drive.
That's all you need to do to install a floppy drive into your PC.